Recently, I’ve stumbled upon two articles: 9 Problems Only Short People Understand and 17 Not-So-Tiny Problems Only Short People Understand. I didn’t even know why I bothered to read these articles but, hey, since I’m a short person I read and tried to see for myself if everything that was written is true. And, boy, it was! Everything that was written were all that I experienced for the past 20 years. And it never got better. But looking back, being short isn’t bad at all. It’s just a matter of perspective and how one handles his/her height.
Back in the day when I was young, people were expecting me to outgrow my older sister and that I will be the tallest. I don’t know what happened but in a chain of events I became the smallest. With the height of 4 feet and 8 inches, yea, I can definitely say I am small for my age. And being 20 and counting, I am not expecting to grow taller in the coming years. Some would tease me that I am studying in high school, worse, some would even say that I am studying in grade 6. Having just graduated from college, I must say it hurts. I want people to think at least that I am close to my age (around 17 or 18, mehehehe) not 12 or 13. It’s insulting. But, hey, that’s what makes the world more interesting. And even though it hurts, I must say I don’t get depressed or lonely at all. It’s funny how it makes my life happier and lively. Being short and all, makes my life more enjoyable and lovely. That is the reason why I don’t think it is a “problem” to be short; rather, I think it is more of an advantage. And I believe the “benefits” of being small is GREATER than the cost of it.
Here are some reasons why:
1. You can fit anywhere.
2. You can spend less on clothes and shoes.
3. You can borrow your mom’s or sister’s clothes and turn it into a different kind of clothing.
4. You can eat a lot but still look cute.
5. You can fool other people who does not know your age how intelligent you are.
6. You can be with people younger than you or older than you.
7. You have an excuse for other people to help you when you’re carrying lots of stuff.
8. It’s so much easier to pack your stuff.
9. You always look cute or good in everything you do.
10. You are the only one among your friends who can fit his/her hand inside a bottle or whatever thing that has a small opening; which will make you their savior.
11. You can dodge a lot of beams and barriers.
12. You don’t take up a lot of space.
13. You have a lot of energy.
14. You can sit anywhere you want.
15. You can still play in the playgrounds without being judged.
16. You have the most amazing spot on concerts (on the shoulders of your guy friends)
17. People in a movie house or in a church won’t be annoyed with you when you are in front of them.
18. You can cuddle with your special someone like a baby.
19. You can still join trick-or-treats on Halloweens and still look like a child.
20. Last, but not the least, you look younger than everybody else. >:)
I guess my last number sums up how awesome it is being small. But, please take note that all of these are just my personal experiences. Anyone out there who is small (maybe a bit taller than me) can have a different kind of experience. But always remember being small is nothing compared to how you will make your life awesome.
SO START LIVING AWESOME AND SHOW THE WORLD THAT BIG THINGS COME IN SMALL PACKAGES. hehehehe.